Seattle Aquarium is committed to creating a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable experience for all guests. Our Guest Policies establishes guidelines for guests to follow while enjoying our exhibits and learning about the Aquarium’s mission to Inspire Conservation of Our Marine Environment.
- Unsafe behavior: Unsafe behavior that endangers people or animals, disrupts other guests’ ability to enjoy their visit, or interferes with business operations will not be tolerated. Accessing restricted areas and/or tampering with Aquarium equipment, facilities or systems designed for guest safety is strictly prohibited.
- Verbally abusive or offensive language: Verbally abusive or offensive language and/or gestures directed toward guests, staff members and volunteers is not permitted.
- Inappropriate behavior: Inappropriate, disruptive or abusive behavior including uninvited physical contact, harassment, vandalism, theft, violence or the threat of violence, cultural appropriation, possession of illegal substances/items, or any other illegal conduct is not permitted.
- Mistreatment of our exhibit animals is strictly prohibited. No foreign objects may be placed in the exhibits at any time without prior consent from Aquarium staff.
- Alcohol: Guests who choose to consume alcohol must do so responsibly. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at any time on Aquarium property. Underage drinking and/or providing alcohol to those under age 21 is strictly prohibited. Alcoholic beverages purchased outside of the Aquarium café are not permitted in the Aquarium or outside the Aquarium café.
- Smoking/vaping: Smoking and vaping are not allowed in or on Aquarium property, including outdoor spaces.
- Restricted areas: Do not enter into any restricted areas, including designated employee areas. Enter the Aquarium through designated entrances during operating hours only. Use designated walkways and public access areas throughout the Aquarium. Do not cross any fences, chains, landscape areas or other barriers. Be attentive to your surroundings. Watch where you are walking. Walk, don’t run.
- Attire: Attire should be appropriate for a family environment. Clothing that contains offensive language or graphics may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment. Shoes with wheels may not be used on Aquarium property.
- Costumes: Costumes must comply with our attire rules and may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon. Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally injure another guest, staff volunteer or exhibit animals.
- Adult supervision and responsibility: Adults are responsible for the behavior and supervision of their children. This responsibility applies at all times, even if the minor is not in the physical presence of parents or guardians. Guests under the age of 14, including members, must be accompanied by someone age 14 or older to enter the Aquarium. For all school programs, attendees under the age of 18 require an adult chaperone over the age of 21.
- Solicitation: Solicitation, distribution and posting of literature of any kind on or at Aquarium property is not permitted without prior Aquarium consent.
- Photography: You're welcome to take photos and video for your personal use only. Commercial photography is allowed only with prior written permission from our Public Relations department. For more information, please contact us at (206) 386-4300 or email@example.com.
When taking photos inside the Aquarium, please turn off your flash. Not only will you get better photos—but our guests and animals will thank you! Also, please be aware that entrants to our facility during public hours understand that still photography, video surveillance and monitoring may be happening at all times in public areas.
- Resale of tickets: The resale of Aquarium tickets or sale of membership cards for temporary use is not permitted.
Prohibited items on Aquarium property
- Mace/pepper spray or other chemical weapons and similar items.
- Balls, balloons and frisbees.
- Use of bikes, scooters, skateboards, skates, shoes with built-in wheels, Segways and similar devices (unless used as an ADA mobility device).
- Alcoholic beverages not purchased on site.
- Animals, except for service animals as defined in the ADA. Please see our accessibility page for more information.
- Spray paint.
- Any items containing hateful language.
Failure to act in accordance
Failure to act in accordance with these guest conduct policies may result in:
- Intervention by Security, Management staff, or law enforcement.
- Confiscation of illegal/prohibited items, which may be turned over to law enforcement authorities.
- Request from Security or Management staff to leave Aquarium property.
- Revocation or suspension of Membership privileges, if applicable.
Seattle Aquarium is committed to providing a safe work environment in which our employees and volunteers are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in an atmosphere that prohibits discriminatory and harassing behaviors such as sexual, physical, verbal, aggressive nonverbal communication and displays of symbols that target race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin or ancestry. Offending guests will be asked to leave the premises should such discriminatory treatment occur.